Safeguarding for Children
Rebecca Cheetham Nursery and Children's Centre is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all its pupils. We believe that:
- All children have the right to be protected from harm;
- Children need to be safe and to feel safe in school;
- Children need support which matches their individual needs, including those who may have experienced abuse;
- All children have the right to speak freely and voice their values and beliefs;
- All children must be encouraged to respect each other’s values and support each other;
- All children have the right to be supported to meet their emotional, and social needs as well as their educational needs – a happy healthy sociable child will achieve better educationally;
- Schools can and do contribute to the prevention of abuse, victimisation, bullying, exploitation, radicalisation, extreme behaviours, discriminatory views and risk taking behaviours; and
- All staff and visitors have an important role to play in safeguarding children and protecting them from abuse.
Safeguarding is defined as
- Protecting children from maltreatment;
- Preventing impairment of children's health or development;
- Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care; and
- Taking action to enable all children to have the best life chances.
Rebecca Cheetham Nursery and Children's Centre will fulfil their local and national responsibilities as laid out in the following documents:
- Working Together To Safeguard Children (DfE July 2018)
- Keeping Children Safe in Education: Statutory guidance for schools and colleges (DfE Sept 2022)
- The Procedures of Newham Safeguarding Children Board
- The Children Act 2004
- The Education Act 2002 s175 / s157
- Mental Health and Behaviour in Schools: Departmental Advice (DfE 2018)
Please see below links to the policies that relate to safeguarding in our setting:
Our Safeguarding Statement which is provided to all new visitors to our school and Children's centre can be accessed by clicking here.
The Safeguarding Team:
Rohan Allen Designated Safeguarding Lead and Child Protection (Nursery)
Subina Begum Designated Safeguarding Lead and Child Protection (Children's Centre)
Mandy Young Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead and Child Protection
Melissa Charlery Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead and Child Protection
We utilise the wonderful programme developed by NSPCC entitled PANTS. Click here to find out more about the programme. We encourage you to gently have these kinds of conversations with your children at home.