Here in Newham, you can breastfeed everywhere - in Cafe's, Libraries, Children's Centre and Clinics.
To help get started, here are some ideas to support your breastfeeding journey:
- Practise in front of a friend or a mirror to see what works for you
- Take someone with you; a friend, family member or partner
- Baby feeding groups are great for a first outing. You can meet other breastfeeding mothers, share practical tips and ideas and suggestions on local baby-friendly shops and cafes
- Mothers find lots of ways to make feeding easier when out and about including use of muslin or scarf to make you feel more comfortable
- Try wearing tops that can easily be pulled down or opened at the front. You can even try wearing two vest tops or even a cardigan can help
Newham have trained and supervised volunteers who offer non-judgemental mum-to-mum support about issues relating to baby feeding. They are called Newham NCT Peer Supporters.
For up to date information regarding support groups in local venues and clinics, please follow the link below:
If you require any further advice please contact one of the FREE telephone baby feeding support services:
Newham National Childbirth Trust (NCT) - 0300 330 0700 Opening hours 8am - Midnight
National Breastfeeding Helpline - 0300 100 0212 Opening hours 8:30am - 9:30pm
Outside of these hours, for non-emergency concerns please call 111
In the event of an emergency please dial 999